Friday, September 26, 2008

What Would You Do?

Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:25 PM
I've been working at my current job since January 2007. I was temporarily covering a 12 month maternity leave, but was kept on permanently when the contract was over.
My original employment contract started me at salary of X amount of dollars, with a $5000 raise after successful completion of 6 months. My boss decided to give me that raise after just barely 3 months because she was impressed with my work. That was April 2007.
It is now August 2008 and I have not had a performance review/raise, or even a cost of living raise since. Since we a looking for a house (and therefore a mortgage) Brad has been suggesting that I approach my boss about a raise. I have been wondering what my prospects are for advancement in the company. I am hesitatnt to approach her because she gave me my initial raise 3 months early and I know that things are changing a lot within the company so I doubt the advancement option is in the near future. But, I don't want to hold myself back just because I am too nervous to ask.
Any raise, even a small one, would make a huge difference right now. Buying a house and then maintaining a house (with all the additional monthly bills) is daunting and expensive and I would like to have a little better piece of mind. But, I don't want to burn bridges and piss people off.
What would you do?

No comments: