Friday, September 26, 2008

Need Opinions- We Have a Decision to Make

Posted Monday, April 28, 2008 9:01 AM
My husband and I have been married since August 2006. We have been very happy living in our rented apartment since then. We love it. It's in a great location for both of us in terms of work, with a HUGE balcony, a big dog run for our puppy Lola, and I think it's just special because it's the first place we lived together. But suddenly we are tripping over eachother. It feels a little like the walls are closing in sometimes and our stuff is starting to overtake the space in the apartment. I'm sick of the paint color etc, but I don't want to spend any money painting someone elses walls when we plan on buying a house ASAP.
My husband and I have tried to get ready to purchase a house several time, but something always ends up happening that we can't. Now, I think we're in a good place to do it, however, we would like to get some debts paid down and have some $$ in the bank before we do it. Therefore, we have been floating around the idea of temporarily moving "home" either to my Mum's or my mother-in- laws. This would allow us to spend 3ish months (plus the last month in our apartment would be rent-free as well because we have already paid last months) saving $$ and paying down debt before we get into a mortgage.
I know that my mother-in-law would love to have us back (she has suggested it more than once, and yes, I am married to a mama's boy). I truly believe that my mum would be okay with it too but I am torn. We're not kids anymore, so it feels like step backwards to move home. It's not that we aren't doing fine right now, because we are, but it would so much easier to take three months and save like crazy to get ahead before buying. But, I would feel like I would need to send out a memo to friends and family explaining why we are going home. You know, "Hi Everyone- We're not moving home because we had to. We were doing fine on our own. We just needed this opportunity to get ahead before we get into a mortgage. Oh, and we're not free-loading either, we're paying $___.__ monthly to live here, plus pitching in around the house".
I'm concerned about storing our stuff, about how living with one of our mothers will effect our marriage, about family opinion (as my husband's two older siblings are NOTORIOUS for not having jobs etc.) because I don't want them to think we are taking advantage/ free-loading, about regretting it once we leave.... I don't know. I can't make a decision. I know we could do it even if we stayed in our apartment, but it would take longer, or we just wouldn't be able to be as prepared as we want. This option would just make me feel better and a little bit ahead of the game.
I'm just looking for opinions or ideas. I'm open to anything. Even if you want to point out flaws or things that I have over-looked.
Thanks in advance!

No comments: