Friday, September 26, 2008

Location, location, location

Posted Monday, August 11, 2008 4:12 PM
I went to an open house yesterday. I really liked the house... it's the right # of bedrooms and baths, fenced yard, new windows, renovated kitchen, new a/c, new roof etc. It's two stories with a finished basement. It "looks like a detached" because it's linked with the neighbour only by the basement (which is completely seperate, we just share the foundation hole). Although I would like to be in the country (my little dream house that I posted about before is still for sale and has dropped 8k) this makes more sense as a starter because it's in town, we would not have to purchase a second vehicle right away and would not have the increased expense of gas for two commuters. The best part is it's an AWESOME price. The agent told me yesterday the sellers are really motivated because they have already bought something else and want to be out before the school year starts for their kids.
However, I'm not sure about the area. It's in a part of town that carrys a stigma of... we'll say "lower income people". I would not want my kids to go to school in the area, but at the same time, we're not looking for a house to be in that long-term (since we aren't even TTC yet). There's a really interesting mix in this area of gorgeous high income homes and tiny, not so nice homes one or two streets over. This house that we are looking at sits in no-mans land between two areas. I don't know what to think. I worry about resale value and getting stuck. It's just such a great little home I don't want to pass it up and then regret it. That and I NEED TO GET OUT OF MY MIL's!!!! It's only been 1.5 months and I'm going crazy!!!!!!
I'm torn and really don't know what to do.

No comments: