Friday, September 26, 2008

Kicking it up a notch

Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:25 AM
I think I have blogged a million times about Brad and I trying to lose weight and get healthy. We've been successfull so far (especially Brad), but I've decided after almost a year of the same program it's time to kick it up a notch, at least for myself.
I'm going to start the C25K (Couch to 5K Program). I've always wanted to be a runner and this program seems like a good way to ease myself into it in a healthy way. I was running a little this winter at an indoor track at the gym, but I didn' t have a plan, I was just running until I couldn't run anymore and eventually I fell away from it and didn't want to do it anymore. So, thanks to the H&F board I found this program to help me out. It seems totally doable. It's only 3 days a week, so we can still do our walks on the odd days and it's 20-30 minutes (depending where in the program you are) so it's not adding any time to my existing exercise routine.
It's really crappy weather here today, so I'm going to go to the pool and do an hour of laps tonight. I haven't been to the pool since the winter because I hate to pay to exercise inside when I can excercise for free outside in the summer months. I'm actually really looking forward to it. I LOVE to swim and I'm good at it, so it's easy to stay motivated.
I've also decided to crack down even more on our "diets". And I don't mean that we're on diets, I mean our day-to-day eating. We've done well over the last 11 months on making better choices and it's working for weight loss, but I want to concentrate on healthy choices for more than weight loss now. Example: making sure we get all the necessary servings of fruits/veggies in a day. Making sure we're eating the most benefical veggies or protiens etc. I'm not saying we'll be perfect (because this girl needs her pasta, bread and chocolate) but just making better informed decisions and eating smart with variety.
Tonight for example, I'm super excited because DH is at work so I can have FISH! He hates fish, so this is a rare occassion for me. I'm having lemon salmon, wild rice, steamed asparagus and/or snow peas and a green sald with low fat cheese cubes Can't wait, my mouth is watering thinking about it!

No comments: