Monday, October 26, 2009
Saturday, Bub and I went to his uncle’s surprise 60th birthday party in the afternoon. It was actually nice o see the family and eat some yummy food (pot luck cold cuts and finger food style- THE BEST). We headed home and I quickly changed and put my night make-up on and one of my girlfriends picked me up. She hosted a Mary Kay foot spa party (with more finger foods- YAY) and then we got down to the very serious business of drinking…a lot! At about 11 we headed downtown to a new bar that opened this weekend called Club Ash. I figure it’s meant to be for me right? It was free cover this weekend and myself and one of my friends were actually were given permanent VIP memberships.
Such an awesome night! I drank a lot and danced all night. I danced with several very cute boys (some of whom could dance and some of whom could not) and happily allowed them to buy me drinks . We ran in to some old friends and caught up with them (actually it was more like drunken reminiscing) and we stayed until the lights came on. It was so awesome to just let loose like that. I didn’t think about school or money once…. although I probably should have thought a little more about money because I spent way too much. I was only concerned with having a good time.
Yesterday I did my online class as usual, but no case study. I couldn’t bring myself to do it this weekend. There are 4 more classes and I only have to do 1 more case study so it was no big deal. So I just vegged some more after 4 hours of class.
Needless to say, I got no cleaning done this weekend. I quickly Lysol wiped the bathrooms and that was it. The floors are in desperate need to a mopping, and I need to scrub the bathroom and kitchen, Bub needs to vacuum and dust….. so maybe we’ll find the motivation tonight?
Now I just need to figure out if we’re doing anything for Halloween and what it is!
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
1. These books were written LONG before Stephanie Meyer wrote Twilight, which begs the question….who is ripping-off who?
2. Many people who were the age I am currently at the time of the release of Vamp Diaries (book 1 was 1991ish) call it the “Twilight of their time” and count it a favorite book.
I decided to give it a chance and watch the show. I'm so happy I did. IT IS SO GOOD! We're about 5 or 6 episodes in and I'm loving it! The story is pretty captivating. Oh... and I guess the cast is pretty easy to look at too.
I know, right? Yummy.
Anyhoo... I was lucky enough to get the first 2 (which is actually 4 total) books in my last book club exchange (thanks again Funky!!). Although school has kept me from getting very far with them, I started and am really enjoying the books as well. I have to say 2 things though: 1. These are much "younger" than Twilight and much younger than even the show. I wouldn't recommend this book to adults unless they are fans of YA. 2. The books are TOTALLY different than the show. The town is different, the back story is different, the characters are described different physically, even the mannerisms of Elena are totally different from the book the the show. I have to say that I like TV Elena a lot better than book Elena, although she's maturing and getting better on the page. All that aside... I'm really loving this series, both in print and on TV.
And how can you not love Stefan? Although he doesn't stack up to Edward, he's pretty amazing. I won't say I "love him" but I'm definitely school girl crushing on him. How could you not? Just LOOK at him????
Unfortuantely, I saw a couple episodes of the show before I started reading the books, so I don't have a seperate "head" Stefan created by moi, but I truly don't mind picturing that face in my head as I read every night.
I recommend the show to everyone, and I do recommend the books as long as you're prepared for "light" YA reading when you start. It's really another super enjoyable series that's sucked me in. I'm so happy the show is doing well.... it's my Thursday night, after class addiction and guilty pleasure. LOVE IT.
I look so forward to the next time that I can take a break from new books and revisit Forks to love on Edward and hang-out with the rest of the Cullen family. If you haven't read these books yet, please do. No matter what you've heard... just give them a chance. Millions of people (of all ages, not just YA) can't be wrong. If it helps.... the author didn't write these books with intention of a YA audience. That's just who picked them up based on the age of the main characters, but honestly.... most people don't read them and say "it's so young". It's meant for everyone and worth every minute.
I can't show you my personal Edward (since he only exists in my head from the pre-movie reading days and is far too perfect to liken to any IRL movie star)... but I can show you the below for your viewing pleasure.
"Bella" and "Edward"- Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewert
Monday, October 19, 2009
1. I need to go out!!!! I want so badly to have a bender night where I can get dressed up, do my hair, put my fancy make-up on and go out and get loaded and dance my butt off. I haven't done it in months and it's desperately needed. I'm trying to figure something out for next Saturday. I NEED TO GO OUT!!!!!! Did I mention that already?
2. I really want a to take a weekend away. It's not going to happen anytime soon, but I keep dreaming about taking off to some remote resort in Muskoka, or some nice hotel in Nigara Falls for the weekend with Bub. Something with a hot tub and pool, or jacuzzi in the room!! If you have me a jacuzzi and a stack of good books, I'd be content to stay in the room for the whole weekend... coming out only to eat. Seriously... I keep trying to rationalize charging it to a credit card and just going, but it's so not a good time right now.
3. I'm happy that it's fall. I was so pissy with the crappy summer we had that I kept thinking... well you might as well bring fall on since summer sucks anyway. We had a great Thanksgiving last weekend (3 dinners in 3 days) and are now trying to figure out what, if anything, we want to do for Halloween. I'd love to go to a costume party and we've been invited to one... but we don't really know the person so it's kinda weird. I'd rather go dancing, but that's just me.
4. Fall means that Christmas season is coming. Although I'm a lot worried about the $$ factor of Christmas, I LOVE the season. It's my fave time of year. It's also nice because it means a break from school AND work for a few days. HEAVEN! We decorate the first weekend of December and I pretty much have Christmas music on 100% of the time after that. I.LOVE.CHRISTMAS!!!!
5. My Mum came and planted some bulbs for me since I hate gardening and didn't have time. While I was doing homework yesterday she turned the front gardens over and planted a bunch of stuff for the spring. I'm super grateful because not only do I hate to garden, but I also suck at it... so she does a much better job that I ever would/could.
6. I'm finally just under my original goal weight. I've now officially lost 68lbs. I thought for sure I would have gained in the last few months and over the summer since my exercise became basically non-existent (I miss running) and my eating habits have gotten crappier, but it turns out I'm still losing. How is that possible? I'm going to keep going because I would like to be in the lower part of the healthy range for my height and I know that there are still some areas I'd like to lose.... but I'm happy for the most part with how I look now. I have to buy new clothes for the third winter in a row... but it's necessary and fun, even if it means a uping the credit card bill (I'm so broke). I'm just hoping my winter coats still fit since both were new last year. I wonder if I could have them altered? Maybe I should look in to alterations on some of my pants too? It may be cheaper than buying new.
Ok, I better get some work done. But first (becuase I apparently feel the need to torture myself)....
This didn't quite go as planned. Saturday I sat down in my office at about 12:30. I stopped for just over an hour to make and eat dinner and watch vamp diaires, and then I went back up to keep working away. At 11:20pm I still wasn't done and I had to force myself to go to bed after I realized that I may have to re-do an entire portion of the paper. I crashed and slept hard. By Sunday at 1pm I was back in the office and was there until 9pm last night, again with a short dinner break (soup and salad)... and I'm still not done.
Warning: the next portion of this post is mostly for my own benefit so I can see what exactly I need to do still and get it planned out.
I'm close... so close to finishing this paper I can taste it and am going to try my damndest to get it complete today. That way, I can leave it until tomorrow night, review it one more time with fresh eyes and then submit it by 2pm Wednesday when it's due.
After I turned the computer off, I grabbed my humanities text book and started doing the readings for this week (nevermind the 3 chapters I didn't read for the last class becuase I was going crazy studying for my econ test... I'll have to get back to those some other time). I got just over halfway through before having to get in bed. It take a little longer than my regular reading speed because I'm going back and highlighting. I'll definitely have time to finish it before on Thursday even if I do it right before the lecture... I get to school early anyway. I'll try to get my econ reading done tomorrow night because I have to go to financial aid on Wednesday before class and therefore won't have time. I have to get a confirmation of enrollmetn form completed so I can try to get my grant and get my OSAP payment suspended!!!! That leaves tonight to finish up the term-paper and/or start the readings for the online class I should have done yesterday. Ideally, I'd be able to do the class tonight, which would mean I'm not behind. If I don't get it done, I'll have to do two classes (but only 1 case study!!) this weekend. When this crap is done, I have a couple weeks where nothing is due and I have no tests. Then it's back to the craziness for finals.
OKAY! Enough blogging about school priorities. What else is happening in my life? Well... not much because I don't have time or money. har de har.... oh! I had to return my laptop to Dell and order a new one. I won't even get my started on that whole complicated mess. The end result is that I will NEVER EVER EVER purchase from Dell again... I've never been treated so poorly in my life. So that means that this week and possibly next week, I am again without a laptop for classes. It's driving me nuts because I have school stuff on my work computer, my home computer and files on both that will need to be transferred to my new laptop (again) when it arrives. So complicated now, but when it all gets sorted out the laptop will actually make life much easier.
I'm stopping here.... I will post seperately very shortly, a whole post that doesn't mention school or money.
Thursday, October 8, 2009
So my new laptop has a “blog” feature that can be auto-linked to any blog I want. I wanted to test it out so that’s what I’m doing while sitting waiting for my World History lecture to start.
I can’t believe how nervous I am for the presentation I have to do later. I don’t usually get nervous for oral presentations… but maybe it’s because I haven’t been able to spend the amount of time preparing for it that I normally like to? Oh well. Regardless, it will be over in 3 hours and then I can go home.
This weekend is going to be packed… more on that later. :)
Hopefully this worked.
I realized last night as I was sitting there waiting for the exam to start that I had studied a total of 22 hours for the test (8 hours Sunday, 4 hours Monday night, 4 hours Tuesday night and 6 hours yesterday). I knew that regardless of the result, I had done all I could to prepare myself for it.
I'm so relieved that it's over. I don't think I did great, but I did fair- good, which is honestly better than I expected. For a former straight A scholarship student, I'm not normally excited about a fair-good grade, but in this case, I'll take it.
I'm hoping for a mark somehwere in the 70's. Fingers crossed.
Now I'm scrambling to finalize my World History presenation on Persepolis for tonight. I'm not overly concerned about it, but will be happy when it's over. I'm so looking forward to this weekend... although it just means on to the next assignments.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Been studying my butt off for tomorrow nights economics test (the class I'm struggling with) and it's coming together a little better now. I have two chapters left to teach myself so I'm going to be up pretty late tonight.
I'm so excited for this weekend, and here's why:
1. As of Friday morning my econ test and world history presentation will be behind me.
2. Next week is reading week which means that I don't have class on Wednesday or Thursday and can spend that time working on the term-paper due in my admin studies class.
3. It's Thanksgiving this weekend which means LONG WEEKEND!!! Wohoo! We're doing dinner at my Mum's on Saturday and dinner at my FIL's on Sunday. Yay for turkey!!!!
4. Monday, I'm hoping to finally just relax. Take a whole day school, work and chore free. I plan to read, take a hot bath, cook a really yummy meal, take the girls for a long walk and maybe watch a movie.
There's no new online class this weekend, but I didn't get to do my last one on Sunday as I normally would have because I needed to study for econ, so I'll have to do it at some point this weekend. I think I'm going to skip the case study for this week since we only have to do 5, I've already done 3 and I'd rather spend the time working on the term paper for the same class.
I'm also going to get all my house cleaning caught up either Sat or Sunday through the day. It's kind of falling apart. I still don't have a working vaccum and
I made the most amazing soup on Friday that is now definitely a new fave in the house. It was Stuffed Green Pepper Soup and it's a super easy really yummy slow cooker recipe. I don't even like green peppers and I LOVED it. I have to get the recipe up on my blog and linky soon. If you're a soup lover like me you must make this. It was sooooooo good. Awesome comfort food.
I also plan to make my Apple Cake for dinner at my Mum's this weekend. It's the most amazing, super moist cake you'll ever have. It's basically carrot cake, but apples instead of carrots. I plan to get pics while I'm making it this time around and get it on my blog too.
The plumber is coming on Thursday afternoon to fix our toilets (see a few posts back for details about our ginormous water bill) so hopefully that will solve one of our $$ problems. While he's there I'm having him install the new sink and faucet in the upstairs bathroom. YAY!
So that's my happy update for now. It actually made me feel better to type all that out. I can't wait to get this week over with!