Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ch.. ch... changes!

Change # 1: My job is now secure and changing for the better (I hope). To start off with, you need to know that I work in finance and HR. I got a call from the CFO (who is in our CA office) yesterday afternoon… and it scared the crap out of me at first. There was a voicemail and email from her that basically said the following “*Subject: Please call me today * just left you a vmail. I need to talk to you today. Please call me either at office number below, or my cell phone **-***-****” I immediately thought, “this is it… I’m about to get laid off”.

So, my heart pounding and palms sweating, I call her back. The conversation starts with:

CFO: “So we had a meeting about roles and responsibilities… and obviously your name came up since a lot of stuff has been filtered away from you. We’re not sure that your plate is really full anymore (which is crap because sometimes I have WAY too much work to do, while others I have nothing) so……(my heart drops into my stomach and I feel dizzy)…… we’re transitioning you to an inside sales position if you’re interested.”

Me: “Wow… definitely.” (As I grab the emergency defib machine to jumpstart my heart)

CFO: “Great! I was talking with B (SvP Global Sales) about someone to fill this role and your name came up. He was excited that you may be a prospect because A, you in the office with D to pass of the role and get crossed trained and B he has worked with you before on some special projects in the past.”

With the combination of this and the “Outstanding Contributor Q4 2008” bonus that I got (only $500 but still!) I’m feeling better about my job, its prospects and my security here. I’m really excited about this opportunity. For the time being I am going to keep some of my previous duties (I’m hoping they’ll give them to someone else when I get comfortable with the sales thing) but to get moved into Inside Sales in the software field is huge. It’s not something I ever thought I’d do, but it’s got great potential… even if it’s not with this company. Hopefully the change will get under way soon and hopefully it’s as good of a change as I’m thinking it is.

Change # 2: I started working out at a new gym this morning since my YMCA membership was done yesterday and I wanted to switch to month to month anyway. I needed a bigger pool which I definitely got, but with bigger comes busier. Oh well… I push myself harder when it’s busier. I was exhausted after just a couple laps this morning. I lost my indoor track though, so for now it looks like I’ll be running on the treadmill until the weather is nice. The change rooms SUCK! My old gym had stalls so you could actually shower. The new gym has like 5 showers, all together that you have to constantly press the button because the water only runs for 15 seconds. They also only have the “male” and “female” and “family” change room, which means that when the city swim team finishes practice at 7:30, they come dripping in to the change room. At my old gym there was a “girls’ and a “women’s” and I will definitely miss that. What I will miss the most is the sauna. I would dry off in the sauna every morning after my shower…. that will def be an adjustment. But this one is cheaper, bigger, cleaner and closer… so I have to give up some things right? Plus I get an array of class options, 2 ice rinks etc etc. We’ll see how it goes!

No comments: