Tuesday, March 2, 2010

With Glowing Hearts

I couldn't post this yesterday because I was still basking in the glory and absorbing the wonderfulness that is our men’s hockey Olympic GOLD MEDAL WIN!!!!!

When I woke up Sunday morning I just knew…. I could feel it. I knew there was no way I was going to bed disappointed that night and I think the whole country could feel it. This was our year. Canada was coming out of a 4 medal (3 of which were gold) day, we had tied the record for most gold medals won in any winter Olympics and the country had pulled together like never before. We were finally proving to the world how amazing Canada really is and how much we truly love our country. Patriotic? YOU BETCHA! I find it interesting that so many people were so surprised at our level of patriotism. We love our country and we want the world to know it. It’s the best country in the world.


I saw an interview with a US speed skater who said, “I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought we [American’s] were patriotic… but it’s nothing like this”.

If you watched any of the events you saw nothing but a sea of red, white and Canadian flags. Hundreds of spontaneous outbursts of O’Canada were heard in the middle of curling matches, interrupting television interviews and in the middle of the street for seemingly no reason at all! The level of pride we felt and are still feeling is completely indescribable. Several television segments dedicated entirely to the unity and patriotism the country was experiencing, not only in Vancouver but across the entire country, still can’t explain what was happening to Canadians.

I was an emotional and nervous wreck for the duration of the Olympics. It started the night of the opening ceremonies and didn’t end until the closing. It took over my life for two weeks and I loved every minute of it.



First, the commercials. I’ve never had so many television commercials make me cry in such a short span of time….

From the Canadian Tire “First Skate” commercial to the Sidney Crosby/Tim Horton’s “Wouldn’t it be Amazing” commercial, I spent a lot of teary moments on my couch. Any commercial or footage with the “I Believe” theme brought me to tears…. and don’t get me started on the “CTV Difference Makers” segments.

And I can't leave out those commercials that had the ability to get the entire country pumped up.... "Whose Game" and "Force Fate" are the best examples of those.

My favorite moments:
-Alexandre Bilodeau wins our first gold on home soil.  His reaction and his brothers reaction.... incredible.
-Charles Hamlin wins gold and hops the boards to hug his girlfriend (also an Olympic medalist)
-Clara Hughes wins bronze in the final race of her career
-Spontaneous O'Canada during the mens curling game
-Women's hockey gold and the whole place erupts into O'Canada
-MENS GOLD MEDAL GAME!--> The icing on the cake of an already beyond incredible Olympics and the ultimate victory.  The OT goal scored by Sidney Crosby (fed from none other than my boy Jarome Iginla) was the sweetest way to win that game.



And for those of you wondering... 
-beaver tails are one of the best Canadian treats you'll ever have, and no... they are not real beaver tails.
-those athletes that were accused of not knowing our national anthem? They were singing it in FRENCH!
-we weren't booing our own goalie Roberto Luongo... it's "Louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu".
- and yes.... here, it's Zed, not Zee.


So, as much as my nerves need the break and my body needs the sleep I am disappointed that the Olympics are over.  It was an incredible two weeks that pulled our country together in the most amazing way possible and I hope it can last.  I was so proud to be a Canadian, just as I always am.  This is truly the best Country in the world and I will never live anywhere else.

No comments: