Friday, March 12, 2010

A Season of Eden by JM Warwick

*3.5 stars*

Review Part I- no spoilers

I thought I would be uncomfortable with the subject matter of this book but honestly, I think that's kind of the point. I was actually surprised how little it bothered me and I think the fact that Eden is 18 and James is only 22 played a big part in that. She's legally an adult and there's only 4 years between them. I didn't feel that James was taking advantage of, or manipulating Eden in any way.

I didn't buy Eden's feelings for James as sincere at first. I felt more that it was story about a desperate girl in a bad life situation who had become obsessed with conquering the attention of this older "man" for validation. Later, I changed my tune. I think the way the James was able to lead Eden to identify her flaws and want to become a better person.... lets just say by the end, based on heractions and thoughts later in the book, I knew what she was feeling was very real.

I couldn't help but fall for James but I wish we had a little more development on his side of the story. He's the type of person I would have liked when I was in HS... sensitive, passionate... hot.

There were several delicious James and Eden scenes in this book that made my heart flutter and made me want to fly through the story. The author is very good at capturing the nerves, tension, excitement etc of a young feelings.

This was a very fast, guilty pleasure read that I recommend for anyone who enjoys YA or a good love story.

Review Part II- major spoiler
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

What the hell was that ending? Can I even call it an ending? Did I miss something? This is the reason I had to give the book only 3.5 stars. As delicious as I found the read, leaving the end hanging like that almost ruined it for me. I like good solid, well wrapped up endings. Sure I wanted them to end up together, but even if they didn't that would have been okay too...... just TELL ME ONE WAY OR THE OTHER! Don't leave me hanging like that. She confronts him in the church, he kinda smiles, book ends. WHAT? I don't think this is open for a sequel either. I truly think this is the end of James and Edens story.

Perhaps I missed something, but I was so disappointed by the end.

1 comment:

Julie G said...

I'm happy to see that you didn't give up ALL pleasure reading!!