Tuesday, March 9, 2010

another quickie...

I don’t really have time for a post, but I’m going to do an update anyway, so here’s the deal.

My Aunt started getting better slowly as of Thursday. No major improvements but she was coherent and actually started drinking a little. Saturday, my Dad decided since my Uncle was going to the hospital, not to go visits her and to spend the day with us (I haven’t seen him in a year). We got a call Saturday night that my Aunt B had returned to normal, her biopsy had been cancelled and that she was either being moved back to her original hospital or released all together on Monday (yesterday). The doctors said that it wasn’t cancer, that it was likely hepatitis contracted years ago during a business trip, as they had originally thought 2 weeks ago. They said it “major liver damage, drastic lifestyle changes (absolutely no alcohol, no rich foods etc) blah blah blah”. As a family, we were in shock. Tuesday night the doctor was telling my Nan to get the family to the hospital because she wasn’t going to make it much longer and then by Saturday there cancelling tests and talking about releasing her? How does that work? We were happy, but also concerned. We still didn’t have a diagnosis and they were just going to let her go? In the past 2.5 weeks we’ve been told it was hepatitis, then it was probably cancer, then it was definitely cancer and now it’s probably not cancer and is likely hepatitis. I’m sorry but when she was on death’s door a couple days ago, "likely" and "probably" are not good enough.

They took her off her meds and IV’s and she made it ½ a day before she regressed again. Her regular doctor returned yesterday and flipped when he found out her biopsy had been cancelled. So… long story short is that she won’t be getting out or transferring out of the cancer center, her biopsy has been rescheduled and she’s back on all her meds. So we’re back to a waiting game and still have no solid answers as to what is wrong with her.

My Baba is the same…. hanging on, being kept alive with feeding tubes and IV’s…. it’s all the same with her and to be honest, I’m at peace with her situation. She’s lived her life and is suffering so to be quite honest, it will be better for everyone, especially her, when she finally lets go.

I spent the weekend hanging out with my Dad. We did dessert and coffee on Friday, we did breakfast, my nephews snowboarding competition and then dinner and drinks on Saturday and then Sunday we went to the flea-market, out for lunch and then Bub made us dinner. Last night, Bub had to work so I took my Dad out for dinner just the two of us and then my sister and nephew came over to have tea and say goodbye to my Dad. He’s going to stop by my place before he heads to the airport tonight. As much as I love when he’s here, I hate saying goodbye. It really, really sucks.

I totally neglected my school work this weekend because my Dad was here. I am so behind it’s not even funny. I have a research paper due next week that I haven’t even started. It’s going to be a lonnnnng freakin’ week getting it all done on top of my regular classes and case study submissions… but next weekend I’ll be able to relax for 2 days before the craziness of finals starts. Maybe I’ll get to read a little? Right.

Okay- off to get some work done and play catch-up some more. My apologies for this jumbled mess of a post. More positive updates to come soon! I’m really not the whiner I’ve appeared to be lately.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw Ashley, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt again. It happens sometimes that they are at the end, you've made piece and they bounce back. Hospitals are famous for the words probably and likely
I hope your aunt bounces back again. The doctor seems like he was shocked and wants to get to the bottom of whatever is affecting her.
Prayers and hugs to you and your family!

Tameka said...

Your aunt and the rest of your family are in my prayers. I'm so sorry that you all are going through this!

Julie G said...

Thanks for the update! Your family is certainly still in my thoughts and prayers - and you especially!