Thursday, December 31, 2009

A 2009 Recap

I thought it necessary to list some of the major things that we did or that happened to us in 2009.

May

-Family trip to Florida. Bub and I, my sister, nephew Mom and Godmother all flew down to Orlando for a week and did the Disney World (Magic Kingdom and Blizzard Beach), beach, shopping and relaxing thing. We had so much fun and will definitely return to that resort in the future.




- We got our second baby dog Jenny. It was a rough couple of months to start out with but now I’m so over the top in love with my little wiggle-butt that I can’t imagine life without her.





June

-We hosted the 24th annual Townsend Games at our place. I believe this is the first time that one of my husband’s generation has hosted. Normally it’s hosted by FIL or one of his brothers. We had great weather and it was a success as far as I know




- I received my acceptance letters to York University for both a BA in Business and Society and for a BA in English. I decided to pursue my passion for business, and am happy that I did, but sometimes I wish I could have done English too.




July

-1 week cottage vacation with Mum. We didn’t have the best weather, but it wasn’t terrible either. I stayed the whole week with Mum and the dogs and it was GREAT. I miss it.

I'm bad... I was too busy reading to take any pictures.

September

-I started back to classes for the first time in 4 years (the first time ever in University) and was so excited about the whole thing

No "back to school" picture either.  Bubba wanted to, I wouldn't let him.  It was weird.

November

-We finally got rid of the Grand-Am and bought our “new” car (a 2005 Nissan Sentra)




December

-Battled my way though my first set of exams. NOT fun and such a relief when they were over

The biggest thing for me this year was going back to school. It was a much harder adjustment than I expected it to be and I’ve caught myself on several occasions questioning why I decided to go back. The class/work/reading load is a lot (too much for me really), but I think I’ve got a good system now that I’ve been through a full semester and know a little bit better what to expect.

I learned a couple things in the process of returning to school (which is good, I suppose, since that’s kinda the point of going back to school):

-I still don’t have a brain for math. It’s just not me. I can write papers and essays and do case studies until the cows come home, but as soon as I saw the graphs and equations for Microeconomics…. I panicked. Luckily, I was still able to pull off an A in that class, but it wasn’t without a lot of frustration, hard work and yes- tears.

-I’m still that student that puts way too much pressure on myself. It’s my nature. Less than an A is unacceptable to me and I’m going to give myself a stroke someday making sure I get them.

-I have the greatest husband in the world. This man not only tolerates that fact that I am ALWAYS busy but he picks up my slack. He makes and cleans up all the meals, he packs my lunches and dinners for school days (since I don’t come home between work and school) and he even helps me study for tests and exams. All the while never once uttering a complaint. I’m seriously so very lucky because I don’t know how I’d handle it if he was making me feel guilty all the time.

-University is not necessarily all it’s cracked up to be. I look around some of my classes and listen to some of the comments and questions from the other students and think “how the hell did you ever get accepted here?”

All in all I am happy to be back at school and in the middle of a 3 week break I’ve caught myself looking forward to classes starting again, so I know that I’ve made the right decision. It will be worth it in 4-6 years when I get to wear the gown and move the tassel across my hat and someone hands me a degree.

So… here’s hoping school in 2010 goes just as well or better than in 2009.

No comments: