Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Boo for Wednesdays and Long Weeks

I’m so happy that spring (and a little bit of summer) are finally here. I took the afternoon off work on Friday, left my office at 12, and hung-out in my backyard reading. It was 25 degress C (about 80 F) and beautifully sunny! I got my first sun burn of the year though and now have a lovely farmers tan on my left arm, made worse by the fact that it gets all the sun while I’m driving. When H was done work, we went out to the rail-trail for a walk with the dog and then he took me out for dinner! It was really good, but I ate waaaaaay too much because we went to a buffet. NOT good for the healthy lifestyle of a “recovered” compulsive eater!!! Smile

Saturday and Sunday were spent going through the storage bins in our basement and spare room as well as what’s left at my Mom’s house, in preparation for our garage sale this Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of quality stuff that we have to sell. We have lots of books (which it almost kills me to part with), furniture, games, movies, electronics including an amazing 51” Toshiba television, kitchen stuff etc. Everything is like new, and some of it IS new as it’s wedding presents that we’ve never even opened. I think it’s safe to sell it since we were married almost 3 years ago now.

We had a wicked storm on Saturday afternoon. I’m a storm fanatic so when I heard the thunder I immediately jumped up from my sorting mess, apologized to H, ran around and shut all the windows and then went out to my front porch to watch. The lightening was amazing and basically right over my house so it was gorgeous to watch. But… the rain suddenly started falling “horizontally” and the wind picked up out of nowhere (strong enough that my trees in the front yard were basically folded in half) and I got a little nervous since it’s technically Tornado season in my town. We haven’t had a major one since the year I was born, but that one cleared one whole side of the town and killed 12 people, so some of the residents get nervous every time a storm rolls through in the spring. I ran in to check the weather network for Tornado warnings, but of course, the satellite was down, so I just had to keep an eye on it. I was pretty tense for a little bit. Luckily, it died down within about 10 minutes. I love storms…. There’s just something about them that fascinates me. H says I should have been a weatherman for a living.

I got a quote from Home Depot to do our roof this spring and it was over $1000 more than the first quote we got! I just about choked when I opened it up, especially since they both quoted us for the same materials. I think we’ll go with the cheaper guy since a) it will save us $$ and b) he’s very reputable around town. We’re also having a lawn care company come and do 6 different (natural) treatments on our lawn so I can catch up with it. The previous owners didn’t take care of it at all so I need the pros to come and get it under control and then I can maintain it. That’s another 300 bucks, but I guess it’s part of owning a home.

This week is pretty quiet… I’m doing last minute garage sale prep and getting ready for vacation. It’s been a lonnnnnng week so far. I can’t believe it’s only Wednesday.

No comments: