Friday, November 26, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I

I think I’m finally ready to talk about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Had I posted a review before today it probably would have gone something like this:

Wow. Like seriously… wow. So good. I mean with the… ya. And the…? Wow. And then I cried. Like, they just did such a good… ya. Wow.

As you can see, that wouldn’t really have told you much except that I loved it to the point of speechlessness.

Best movie yet by far. The acting was just incredible, compartively. As much as I love Emma Watson as Hermione, she kinda bugged me at times with her overacting in the films previous to this one. But not in DH. She was on point the whole time. The tension between Ron and Hermione is palpable and I loved it! All of the characters did a really great job this time around. You really sense their connection, their loyalty to one another.






If I could choose three words to describe DH it would be dark, intense and sad. I’m happy that I hadn’t read the book recently because I was able to go into the movie with few expectations or “I hope they do this scene” etc etc. I was able to just sit back and enjoy it and let it all come back to me as the movie went on.

Some of my favorite parts (MOVIE AND BOOK SPOILERS TO FOLLOW):
  • The first (and only scene, I think) with Harry and Ginny… I wanted to shout out, “don’t worry! You’re gonna get married and have lots of babies!!!” But honestly, I think it was a really good way to set the record of where they stood with each other.
  • The scene with Fred and an injured George… “Saintly… see, I’m holy?”…. classic Weasley twins! I think I liked this because, for the first time, you see the deep connection between the brothers. Another classic Weasly moment was the “just trying to diffuse the tension” line at Privet Drive. LOVE!
  • Harry and Hermione dancing: some people found this cheesy, but I loved that he did this for her. Just shows how much he cares for her and how close they are.



Friggin’ scary, but awesome nonetheless parts:
  • The wedding: when Kingsley’s Patronous arrives to warn everyone “The Ministry has fallen… Minister for Magic is Dead…. They are coming”… *shivers* So creepy-awesome! The voice gave me chills.
  • Godric’s Hollow: seriously, the old lady is really bloody creepy. And then in the bedroom? God, I knew it was coming and yet still jumped about 10 feet out of my seat.



The hardest parts to watch:
  • Ron and Harry's fight followed by Ron's departure.  I wanted to SCREAM for him to take the Horcrux off (but then one of my favorite parts was his return... excellent part of the book and movie).
  • Hedwig! Poor, sweet, loyal Hedwig. It was not a long, drawn out scene but Oy! I couldn’t stop the tears. I seriously ached.
  • Dobby’s death. I cried again…. and kept on crying. Good lord they did it well. It just ruined me.



My only complaints:
  • I was sad that we didn't get to see Kreacher's turn around.
  • I have to wait 8 months until the bittersweet end.

 Such a great movie that I absolutely cannot wait to see again!

No comments: