Friday, February 12, 2010

Revisiting an Old Friend- Shadow Dance by Julie Garwood

Julie Garwood ranks as as one of my favorite authors.  As I've mentioned before, I don't rank my books/authors based on their writing style or what "genres" are generally considered to be acceptable as favorites, I rank them in terms of the level of enjoyment I get out of the book.  My favorites shelf contains YA fantasy, general fiction, paranormal romance, classics, dystopian YA etc etc etc.  So... although most write JG off as "romantic fluff" or even "trashy romance", I still love her books and own every.single.one.

That being said, I've been dying for a reread. I've read each of my JG books 3-5 times each, but I went through all of 2009 not picking up a single one (aside from Fire and Ice which was released at the end of 2008 which reading it for the first time).    I missed them and I needed a JG fix but I have so many new books on the go and waiting for me with so little time for personal reading that I knew it wasn't going to happen.  So I swung by the library and picked up Shadow Dance on audio.  I LOVED IT!  I promptly put myself on hold for about 4 more JG audio books and I can't wait for them to come in.


A contemporary romantic suspense, Shadow Dance follows the story of Jordan Buchanan and Noah Clayborne.  If you've read any JG (even her Westerns or Scottish historical fiction) you might recognize those last names and you should.... they're all linked. 

I love this story, and although it's not my favorite of her contemporaries, it's still incredibly enjoyable.  You're rooting for Noah and Jordan the entire time and Noah ends up making your heart melt.  There's excitement and passion and... well, just everything that a romantic suspense should have (if you catch my drift). I love the links back to previous books and characters and the historical intrigue.   

I'm so happy that I decided to go through the again.  Re-reading books that are favorites like this one is like revisiting an old friend.  There's something comforting about it and I can't wait for the others to come in at the library.

No comments: