Friday, February 5, 2010

Flashback Friday- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry





Flashback Friday was started over at Lovely Little Shelf (the awesome book blog of an NBC friend of mine). It’s a chance to revisit some of our favorite childhood reads and talk about why we loved them.


The timing of my first Flashback Friday post couldn’t have been more appropriate because just today I received one of my favorite books of all time in the mail. It’s a book that I read for the first time in the 6th grade for a book report and have been in love with ever since.

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry is the story of a young girls struggle in war-torn, Nazi occupied Copenhagen, Denmark. Written with classic Lowry beauty, the story sucks readers in and gently gives young people an insight to the struggles of the Jewish population and horrors of Nazi occupation during WWII.

This, along with 2 other of Lowry's books that I will save for future FBF posts, are the reason I consider her among my favorite authors.



Goodreads Description: Ten-year-old Annemarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen often think of life before the war. It's now 1943 and their life in Copenhagen is filled with school, food shortages, and the Nazi soldiers marching through town. When the Jews of Denmark are "relocated". Ellen moves in with the Johansens and pretends to be one of the family. Soon Annemarie is asked to go on a dangerous mission to save Ellen's life.

And I’m not the only one who loves this book. It has been awarded several awards including A “School Library JournalBest Book of the Year and John Newberry Medal- the most distinguished contribution to American Literature for Children. It was also an ALA Notable Book.

No matter your age, if you are a book lover and haven't read this.. do it.  It's an incredible story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, have good memories of this book. I feel like this is the first time that a book just tore my guts out. I remember reading this and just feeling hollowed out at the end. Really incredible writing for young people.

Great choice.