Sunday, January 2, 2011

Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Whoa boy.... this book was certainly able to raise some color in my cheeks.  There were a few steamy scenes that made me forget I was reading a YA novel.  Yowzers.  I read this book from cover to cover in one lazy day, alternating between napping and reading; stopping only to eat a couple times.  I really enjoyed it, but I can't say that I loved it.

First, something about Zoey really got to me.  The book flap said she was something of a control freak and perfectionist, but I didn't get that.  I know the story is based around a really chaotic time in her life where it would be difficult to be in control, but I didn't even buy the fact that she tried.  Some of her decisions and actions through the story made me furious.  I thought she was smarter than the choices she was making and it thoroughly annoyed me.  On the flip side, I really felt for her when it came to her relationship with her father.  He infuriated me and I'm glad that I didn't have to read much about him later in the book.

Doug, on the other hand, was fascinating to me.  I felt instantly drawn to him from the morning after the accident right through to the final pages.  He was real and flawed and yet somehow still managed to be perfect for Zoey.  And he was HOT! At least, the Doug I created in my mind was.  I really enjoyed spending time with this character.

The sexual tension in this book makes it a tantalizing read for sure.  It's definitely a book written for the older YA fans and not something I'd be allowing my young teen to read.  But on the other hand, it did tell the truth about sex, especially the first experience, which is refreshing in comparison to some other YA novels.

All-in-all, I enjoyed this book, but I think I was just disappointed that I didn't fall in love with it.  Based on several other reviews, I fully expected to so it's disheartening to realize you're 3/4 of the way through the book and it hasn't happened yet.  I do recommend it to all fans of contemporary YA and those who like to read those steamy scenes!

No comments: