Monday, January 24, 2011

Another one?

Well, since it's been almost 3 weeks since my last post I thought I should find some time to post... something. Here's just another mass update (I seem to do a lot of those lately):

School:
I'm starting week four of SemesterFromHell and so far, so good.  After class tomorrow I will have 4 stats classes, 1 quiz (on which I scored 80%!!),  and 1 assignment behind me- leaving only 7 classes, 1 quiz, 1 assignment and 2 exams left for that class.  I have a paper due next week in MODR which I have a good start on, and the ball is rolling with our marketing plan (although, I'm still really not looking forward to it). I'm still iffy on whether or not my stats tutor is going to be of much assistance, so we'll have to wait and see.  I do know that physically being in the classroom is a lot better than taking it online in this case.

Health:
I've really gotten back into working out and eating well again.  I gained some weight over the holidays so I knew it was time to get back on the wagon. 

The exercise bit has been pretty good this time around.  I've found a tiered, 3 level mixed cardio routine that I really like and that I can do it in my basement.  So, I've been doing that 4 times a week.  I'm 1 session away from stepping up to level 2 so we'll see how that goes later this week.  It's really nice to have something I can do at home since a) it's -1 billion out, so running is incredibly uncomfortable (and sometimes dangerous) and b) I can't afford a gym membership right now. 

I've even convinced Bub to get back to it as well, and he's now working out more than I am (with the exception of last week when he was sick as a dog).

In terms of my diet, I'm trying to stay under 1550 calories per day (with a minimum of 1200), really trying to cut out a lot pre-package/processed foods and trying to make sure that I'm eating a variety of foods from across the food groups.

Example menu:

Breakfast: 2 slices of sourdough toast w/ light margarine (a fave of mine), tea w/ milk
Snack 1: either raspberries (1/2 pint) or 1 banana
Lunch: spinach salad (baby spinach, low fat cheddar cheese, cucumbers, carrots, turkey w/ classic herb dressing)
Snack 2: veggie sticks and yogurt dip and/or banana
Dinner: whole wheat pasta w/ tomato and meat sauce and low fat cheese (extra lean GB, low sodium diced tomatoes, blue menu tomato sauce base)
Snack 3 : a couple of crackers, frozen yogurt

Tonight I have a turkey and sprout pita for dinner (school night) that's is really, really yummy and surprisingly low in calories.

I had a physical last week (my first in 4 years) which went well:
  • I got a rec from the doctor for physio and massage therapy for my shoulder, but unfortunately, she gave me a rec for a location who's hours I can't fit into my schedule.  I'll have to go back and get a general requisition so I can find my own place to go.  I'm really looking forward to tackling this issue.
  • She found a lump in my breast, but since I've had one before and it turned out to be nothing, she wasn't overly concerned.  I go back in 3 weeks to check it again and if it's still there then I'll be sent to the hospital for an ultra-sound and mammogram.  I'm not really concerned.
  • I got my shots up-to-date and got a script for the HPV vaccine which I haven't filled yet because I'm unsure how I feel about it (it's really new so that makes me nervous)
  • my weight and blood pressure are "excellent" according to the good doctor!!
  • Everything else seemed fine
I'm also taking a multi-vitamin again and I'll be making an appointment with my dentist sometime this week.  I figure that with my crazy schedule, my body can use all the help it can get keeping me awake, energized and healthy, so that what I plan to do.

Life
My resolution to be more positive and not let things bother me is going pretty good. I'm trying my best to see the bright side of things and it's really made a difference.  I highly recommend it.

Our nephew Oscar turned 1 last weekend and we had a good time at his birthday party.  I can't believe a year has gone by already.



That's pretty much it! I've been working like crazy this month and other that Forget You which I read on New Years Day, I haven't even finished a book.  I have about 50 pages left of my current novel so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have a review to post and then it' on to Anna and the French Kiss I think.

Ok, now I'm back to work!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You've been busy!
Sounds like you're on track for a good year already.