Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010 Recap

2010 was quite the year.  Although it did have it's great moments, I can't say that I'm sad to see it go.  I will however, do a quick post recapping the major events of the year.

January

-Our nephew Oscar was born on Jan 15th (Bub's step-brothers son)



February

-The 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!  Incredible, incredible, incredible.  I was so proud to be Canadian (as I always am) for those two weeks.  We rocked the house, we showed off our beautiful country, our over the top patriotism, our incredible athletes and WE KICKED SOME AMERICAN BUTT IN HOCKEY!!!


-My Baba is hospitalized having multiple heart attacks and strokes. She is put on life support and the family is told that it's the only thing keeping her alive.

-My Aunt in hospitalized with what the doctors suspect is advanced liver cancer.  The doctors tell the family that it's "likely she won't make it much longer"

March 2010

-Baba is taken off of life support and her feeding tubes are removed.  We are told it won't be long until she passes. 
-At the request of her sister, Baba is put back on life support and her feeding tubes are reinserted.

- The doctors confirm, then deny, then confirm, then deny that my aunt has liver cancer.  Her biopsy is scheduled, and cancelled and rescheduled and then cancelled again.  She is transferred to a cancer center and then back to her home hospital.  She starts to show improvement after about a week as is eventually released from the hospital to bed rest at home at the end of the month.

-I receive the following text message from my husband "They found cancer in my Dad".  This starts a 6 month roller-coaster of good news vs. bad news.

-Somewhere in here my sister decides to separate herself from the family altogether and stops speaking to my Mom and Dad

April

-I wrote my second set of exams.... it was much less stressful than my first round.

-Camping in Algonquin!  Bub and I spent a day and night in Algonquin in early spring warm spell and nature watching.  So fun!





June

-FIL is informed that he will definitely have to have surgery to remove part of his esophagus as "he's playing with fire and the cancer keeps returning".  This is after 3 visits in which he was told he is "cancer free".

-A weekend or two at the cabin

-We spend an amazing weekend at a Muskoka Cottage resort to celebrate the long-awaited wedding of Bub's cousin Shannon and her fiance Bryan.  It was an absolutely beautiful and unforgettable weekend.





-I play my first round of golf (and LOVED it) and then golf for the first time in the Annual T-Games.





July

-A couple of weekends at the cabin!

-FIL is given the all-clear that he is cancer free and won't require surgery.

-Vacation on Muldrew Lake.... wonderful as always.



August

- I wrote my third set of exams

-SIL's bridal shower and bachelorette parties are a success!

- A couple of weekends at the cabin.

September

-Begin 2nd full-year of University

-Travel with the whole T family to Niagara Falls for the weekend to celebrate Bub's Gramma's 80th birthday.  Great memories.



-I buy my first Coach bag (yes, this is important enough for me to mention!)

October

-SIL's wedding goes off with just a few minor hitches.





-We host our first Halloween party and it's a blast





-I fail (or come very close to failing) my first exam EVER

November

-I make the decision to drop my stats class and retake it later with the help of a tutor

December

-Bub and I celebrate our 10th anniversary (with a weekend getaway to Niagara Falls/Niagara on the Lake)



-Most importantly... Baba spends Christmas day with My Dad and step-mom, my Aunt Bonnie spends Christmas Day (cancer free) with my Nana and cousins and my FIL wakes up Christmas morning still cancer free.

I think those are big signs that 2011 is looking pretty good!

No comments: