Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Life For The Foreseeable Future


School is kicking my butt. Here’s what’s coming up:

-economics test # 1 next Wednesday (worth 25%)

-presentation on Persepolis for my world history class next Thursday (only worth 5%)

*reading week* which will be eaten up with:

-case study paper for Admin Studies due week school returns (worth 35%)

-annotated bibliography for World History (worth 10%)

-economics test # 2 a few weeks later (worth 25%)

All of this is on top of the regular reading I have to do for each class as well as my online class which takes up 6-7 hours of every Sunday with the readings, lecture, and weekly case study assignment.

Oh ya! Did I mention I have to fit sleep, meals and my full-time Monday-Friday job in there sometime too? I know it sounds like I’m complaining but I’m not. I’m just trying to figure out when I will be able to get all of this done. I’m struggling with my economics class so I have to study my ass off for the upcoming test.

I’m also making an advising appointment to see what I need to do to switch my major/degree. At least 4 of the core 6 credit classes required for my current major are only offered through the day during the week and each is a pre-req for the next. Meaning that in order to complete them I would have to tell my employer…. “btw, I’ll be taking 1 day per week off for the next 4 years starting next September”. That’s not going to fly. So I’m trying to switch so I can get my Hons. Bachelor of Administrative Studies (w/ specialization in management) which, as far as I can tell, is all offered online or evenings. This is what I wanted to take anyway, but I didn’t have 2 pre-req HS maths. I’m going to ask them what I need to do to be able to officially switch. It may mean dropping one of my classes next semester and taking and evening math class at a local learning center and then doing the same in the summer, but if I have to, it’s what I’ll do. There’s no point in continuing with this degree when I’ll never be able to finish it. It just would have been nice to know that before I started. So much for offering it “part-time”. If they tell me I won’t be able to switch, I’ll have to look at transferring schools for next year to somewhere that is better suited for my schedule. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I can work it all out.

Bub has been great with my crazy schedule. He makes dinner, does extra cleaning and packs my lunches and dinners on school days. I’ve tried to keep Friday evenings and Saturdays as school free days so we can hang-out, but as assignments and tests come up it’s harder to do. Sunday is online class day but I’m done by 6 or 7 so we have dinner together and hang out for the night. Monday and Tuesday I’m home in the evenings but I eat dinner and then disappear into my office to read my textbooks. Wednesday and Thursdays I have class so after Tuesday night, we don’t see each other until Friday after work because he’s gone at 5:30, which is before I wake up at 6:30 and is asleep by the time I get home from class at 11 each night. I don’t have time to come home between work and class. He always leaves my meals in the fridge though and PVR’s my fave shows. He’s a good guy.

As I so dramatically mentioned in my last post, I’m a little overwhelmed. Money is a bigger problem than ever, time is so limited and I’m exhausted. Time wise, I knew what I was getting myself into when I started school so I’m dealing. The money thing is a whole other story. We’re making it work, but a couple things that are coming up are freaking me out (car needs breaks and tires and Christmas is coming).

My plan is to take it one step at a time. I’m going to my advising appointment and seeing about switching my major. From there I’ll have a better idea what my upcoming school schedule will be like and I can start the job hunt again.

All I can say is… thank god for my puppies. No matter what happens in the day, I can go home and cuddle them and everything seems ok.



No comments: