Monday, September 14, 2009

I'm a student again?!?!

I’ve been back to school for 1 week and can now safely say that although I know it’s going to be a ton of work and a challenge to stay on top of everything for 3 classes along with a full-time job and just regular life, I’m going to love it. I’m not saying I won’t have moments of stress or that I’ll never feel overwhelmed, but the I appreciate the whole experience that much more this time around since it’s something I have wanted for so long.

I went down early last week on both Wednesday and Thursday to just wander around the campus and get acquainted with it. York is the 2nd or 3rd largest University in Canada (depending on your source), so the campus is the size of a smallish city! It’s a little bit intimidating, but I’m getting used to it. I think the most intimidating thing was when I walked into my class on Wednesday to be greeted by 350 people in a giant room that resembles more of a theatre than a classroom. I expected large lectures, but I was thinking more around 150 people (the size of my Thursday class). What was too funny was that by the time the lecture started, not only were all 350 seats filled, but there were many people sitting in the aisles on the stairs. I’m going to have to get to class early if I want a seat because I really don’t think I could sit on the stairs for 3 hours (although I’m sure as time goes on, the number of people who actually show up to the class will dwindle considerably). I’m adjusting to the different level of study/expectations at the University level, but I’ve always done well academically so I don’t think it will take me long to fall into it.

The drive is not too bad. I found a little short cut to avoid some of the rush hour traffic in the city, so I can get there in under an hour usually. Getting home is much faster because it’s 10pm and most people are off the roads. I got a parking ticket on the first day for $20 ($40 if I didn’t pay it within 10 days) because of my own stupidity. The gates were up on the lot that I park in when I got there on Wednesday and I had a flash back to the college I attended remembering that parking was always free the first week of classes so that you could get a pass or run in to grab paperwork/books etc, so I assumed this was the same. Yeah… not so much. They never use the gates anymore, so they’re always open and the parking payment is all electronic now. Oh well, now I know.

I poked around the library which is FIVE STORIES, and so for a book lover like me, I was in heaven! I think I’ll be spending a lot of time there. My plan is to leave right from work and head down to campus. That gets me there around 5:30 so I have 1.5 hours to study/do readings etc.

I want to be more involved with the school this time around, but with only being physically on campus twice a week, it’s hard. So Bub and I have decided to follow and support some of the sporting teams. Bub was all over this since he’s a sport fanatic. This Saturday we’re going down to watch the York (Lions) vs. McMaster (Marauders) football game. It’s free for students and only $8 for adults so it’s a cheap day out. We plan to follow football and hockey when we can. However, the Lions played an away game on Sunday and got beat 66-8 so I’m not sure that they’re a team that I can really get behind enthusiastically! LOL.

It’s going to be an adjustment. My personal/pleasure reading will go down the tubes because I have so much to do for school and so little time to do it after work and on weekends… but it will be so worth it in the end. I just can’t believe that I can finally say “I’m in University” or “I’m finishing my degree”… it’s something I’ve always wanted and never thought would actually happen. It used to be my immediate answer when someone said “what’s your biggest regret in life”… now I’ll have to think of something else!

No comments: