Monday, July 20, 2009

Wizards, A Hit and Run and a Picnic

What a weekend! Another awesome couple of days that make coming back to work a really big pain in my a$$.

Friday night Bub and I were going to go to the drive-in to see Harry Potter 6. We're both huge HP fans so we had been looking forward to it for weeks. Well, when I left work at 4:30 on Friday afternoon, it was pouring rain. I got soaked running from the office to my car. So, we scrapped the drive-in idea and decided to go to the theatre instead. Our show started at 10:30... so it made for a late night, but it was worth it. The movie was very good. It's totally different from the first 5, but that's just staying true to the books. There's not a whole lot that happens, but it's a good (and necessary) build up for the next movie.

Saturday morning, I was super lazy so I stayed in bed watching Gilmore Girls while Bub went to visit with his Mom for a bit. We went to the library, then Giant Tiger and then went home to grab the dogs and took them for a huge walk in the bush. We watched a couple of trains and then headed home for steak and salad for dinner and a nap. We watched the original Guys and Dolls (w/ Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra) and I LOVE it! I knew the story and have seen a live version, but never the original movie. I think I'm in love with Marlon Brando now, and also the name "Adelaide" for my future little girl.

My sister called at about 10:30 and we talked for 1/2 an hour until she said "I was going to call you tonight to see if you wanted to go out. "C" (my nephew's Dad) is DJ'ing at The Tux and I felt like dancing". I was bored already, so in a sper of the moment decision I told her I would meet her at her place (about 25 minutes away) ASAP and we could go out. I quickly got ready, put my confused little puppies at ease and in bed with their Dad and drove up to Orillia, arriving at my sisters house at about midnight. She jumped in the car and down we went.
I only had 2 drinks over the rest of the 3 hours because I was driving home, but my sister had fun! We danced and talked with C and his buddies who clearly LOVE what they do. DJ'ing is not C's full-time job (he has a suit and tie deal through the week) but he has been doing it for years and is really good. It's actually how him and my sister met about 16 years ago. My sister is kinda crazy on the dance floor but we still had a good time.

We're standing outside the club at the end of the night waiting for C to pack his stuff up so I could drive them home and I hear this huge THUD. It was the strangest, hollow sounding noise and I couldn't quite place it. I turn to my right to see a black SUV driving down the street and a guy rolling on the ground behind it. It takes a second, but then it all clicks together that this guy has just been hit by the SUV (an Escalade... so it's no small truck). The truck kept driving until the friends of the guy who got hit, chased it down screaming and started pounding on the windows. A girl gets out of the drivers seat and is clearly upset while all the friends of the guy are screaming at her that she just hit someone. All these people flood into the street to make sure the guy is ok. He's half sitting up but holding his head in his hands. I was totally freaked out and couldn't keep from thinking that I really hope this guy is okay because if he's not, I'm going to hear that sound in my head for the rest of my life. Three cruisers, 1 fire truck and an ambulance show up. I have no idea what happened to the girl who was driving the truck, but she was freaking out at the side of the road. By the end of it though the guy was up on his feet and everyone was cheering for him. I wish I knew what, if anything, the girl got charged with. Maybe she wasn't at fault... maybe the guy jumped out in front of her. You never know, but somehow I doubt it since she tried to drive away at first. She was probably drunk.

Sunday morning we had to go to my Nana's to move something for her, and then Bub took me on a picnic! :) He had packed it all the night before while I was out and he couldn't sleep. He had sandwiches, yogurt, pickles, olives, cheese and crackers and apple slices along with sparkling water with our funky plastic picnic plates and cups. He even had blanket to lay out and sit on and treats for the dogs. It was so sweet and fun. We went to a local park and sat under thehuge trees. The girls just wandered around and chased squirrels while we ate. We had dinner at my Mom's and then came home and I read, had a bath and then went to bed. I loved this weekend.
We're on holidays next week so I just need to get through 5 days (and hopefully 1 job interview) and then we're heading up to a cottage my Mum rents once a year. I'm soooo excited, and really REALLY hope that we actually get some summer weather for the trip.

No comments: