Thursday, July 9, 2009

My girls are always good for 2 things: a laugh and a mess.

I'm in the process of transitioning our dogs to a new, MUCH better food. I didn't realize that the food I was giving them was one of the lowest rated kibbles available (Pedigree Healthy Vitality). To add to that, Jenny has no interest in puppy food and only wants to eat her sisters food so I wanted to find something good for all ages. So, after a lot of research, on the way home from work last night I stopped at the pet food store and bought a little bag of the new food that I had decided on (Canidae All Life Stages- Chicken, Turkey Lamb & Fish Meal). It's all natural, meat rich and rated 5 stars (Pedigree was 1). It's a little expensive, but it's totally worth it. I don't feed myself junk, so I don't want to feed my dogs junk. Plus, apparently with high quality foods they eat less (because there's less fillers and crap so they don't need as much) and poop less (because they're using more of what they're eating) so it's really a win-win.

But, I digress.... I will not get preachy in this post. So I get home, I mix some of the new food with some of the old food to help their little belly's with the transition and put their bowls down on the kitchen floor. Now, I'm a "free-feeder" which means there is always food available to them and they just sort of "graze" (for lack of a better word) when they are hungry. So I knew the must like the new food when the both came right over and immediately started eating. I turned around and started making my own dinner. When I realized I couldn't hear Lola eating I turned around to praise her for eating a whole bowl at once (she usually just picks through the day).... and what did I find??

Lola had picked out ALL of the old kibble and eaten only the new stuff! There was Pedigree all over my kitchen floor! She was sitting beside the empty bowl with her head cocked to the side staring at me as if to say "Um Mum.... screw the old food, the new food is awesome and I'm gonna have to get you to give me some more of that". Jenny on the other hand, was sitting quietly daintily eating one kibble at a time, not making any mess.

I burst into laughter before kneeling on the floor to clean it up. My girls are always good for a laugh and a mess, pretty much regardless what they do.

So... so much for slowly transitioning Lola to the new food. Apparently the taste of it has ruined her pallet for anything less. I'm happy that she likes it though and I would rather that then to have a problem switching.

No comments: