Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Well... I made it.

After what was definatley one of the most stressful months of my life, the move is complete, my other project is almost completely done (at least the hard part is over) and I had the talk with my new boss about the work overload (in terms of my finance duties) so my hope is that the upcoming close will be a lot easier than the previous. The conversation went well. I think he (yes- I have new boss now due to corporate resturcturing) was actually listening to me this time. He had me send him my job description and "resume" so he knows what my experience is and what my capabilities are. He's based out of our US office and fully admited that he didn't really know what my responsibilites were and agreed that all my concerns were fair. He was glad that I brought it all up to him for discussion. We're going to talk more next week. Hopefully this is the first step in the right direction. I think I am still going to look for a new job in the new year, but this one is definately more tolerable for the time being.

The move went really well. We were only down (network and phones) for Friday afernoon and Monday morning for a couple of hours. This was much less downtime than we expected and I got an email sent around to all the staff in our office, by my GM (the co-founder of the company) thanking me for all my hard work. This was really gratifying... and to top it all off, she cc'd the CEO of our parent company in and he replied to everyone thanking me for all my hard work too. It's nice to be noticed, especially when, for the last month and a half, I've felt like no one really gave a shit about me or what I did.

The GM told me that I need to take some paid time off, in addition to my vacation, for all the overtime I worked on the move. Since I'm on salary, it was really nice of her to offer this. I think, as long as I can work it out with the big wigs in the US, I'm going to take it ASAP.

I'm now off for the next 5 days and couldn't be happier about it. I really need this down time after the stress of the past little while. I love Christmas and can't wait for Wednesday. I'm so pumped to see Bub's reaction to his gift. :) He's going to be psyched. Since he's sitting right here, I better not risk posting what I got him (just in case he peeks at my screen) but it's pretty cool and it's something that he's wanted for a while.

Bub has to work tomorrow, but afterwards, we are heading to my Mum's for dinner. Christmas morning is always just the two of us, brunch at his Dads and then it's his mom's year to host dinner, so we'll be heading over there. I would love to get some boxing day shopping in, but I just don't have the money. We'll see. Maybe my credit card can take a little beating. Probably not so smart when I'm not 100% sure about my job security... but why not take the risk??? :)

No comments: