Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dystopian Tour 2011- Veronica Roth and Lauren Oliver Signing

Last night I got the extremely rare opportunity to attend a book signing at my local Chapters with YA authors Lauren Oliver (author of Before I Fall and Delirium) and Veronica Roth (author of Divergent).  To say that I was excited would be a gross understatement. First, a dystopian tour?  Yes please! Can't get enough! Second, we get very few authors in my little hometown and even in Toronto, the list of author signings that I actually care about is rather small.  So, when my fellow book nerd and friend Jessica sent me a tweet with the signing details, I was pumped.


It was very cool to listen to the author's talk about inspiration, influences, and the business.  I found out some cool tidbits like, did you know that Lauren wrote Before I Fall on her Blackberry?  Yeah.  Seriously.  She wrote it on the NYC subway while commuting between her full-time job, part-time job and full-time grad school and emailed it to herself each night.  Now that's dedication to your craft. 


I had some questions I was burning to ask (like if and how they've had to deal with YA nay-sayers and why they think YA lit has exploded the way it has, especially with adults) but I was too chicken.  I was also completely awkward when I went up to have my books signed.  I didn't have the nerve to ask for a picture and, although I wanted to say something incredibly intelligent and witty, I couldn't think of a single thing to say beyond "hi" and "thanks".  It was pathetic actually.  Lauren did tease my husband a little about being dragged along to a book signing, but other than giggling at that and giving the standard greetings... I said nothin'.  Totally forgettable. *sigh*  I'm such a loser.

In the end, I got three beautiful new signed hardcover books that I can't wait to read, and got to meet two very cool YA authors.  All in all, a great night for a book nerd! 

Delirium and Before I Fall signed by Lauren Oliver




Divergent signed by Veronica Roth


I also got a swag bag filled with Delirium and Divergent related trinkets and other assorted junk. I LOVE free stuff!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish we got authors out this side of the country too.
I wouldn't know what to say to someone famous either. You're not a loser.

Nice swag!

Midnight Bloom said...

I was able to attend their signing at the Yorkdale event! It was so cool getting the chance to meet both of the authors and I'm glad to hear you had fun too! :)

Jessica Love said...

FUN! I'm so jealous!

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Don't worry about being shy... it's a Big Deal to meet such awesome authors. =)

Tameka said...

SO FUN!!! I haven't read Divergent yet but from all the frenzy surrounding it lately it sounds like I have to! I'm so happy you got to meet both ladies!

Don't freak out about being so quiet when you met them. I tend to get all spastic and frenetic when I meet authors I love and it's equally embarrassing! No worries!

Chrystal said...

I totally wanted to drive to the Barrie or Toronto signing/event, but couldn't make it. I'm from Barrie but live in Kingston now. Very cool that Barrie got a wicked book event!

New follower!