Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dance Upon Air by Nora Roberts (Three Sisters Trilogy Book # 1)

Whenever I need a quick read that can carry me through a rainy weekend or a bout of sickness.... Nora Roberts comes through. I can always count on her to write something that will keep me entertained and that's hard to put down. Dance Upon Air was no exception. Roberts crafted a charming, yet mysterious setting, likable characters and a storyline that grabbed me right from the beginning.

I think I was even more drawn to this story than some of her others given that I have a long harboured desire to live on a tiny island (hence my recent attempt to transfer to the University of Prince Edward Island) so I could easily imagine the settings as they were described, the little cottage, the house on the cliffs.... all of it is what I want someday.

I've always had a little fascination with Witchcraft as well, so I found many of those aspects very interesting. Roberts wrote about them in such a way that they didn't overshadow the story or throw it into the "fantasy" genre. I felt it was basically a romantic suspense, with a little paranormal thrown in for good measure.

I especially liked the conflict in this story. The abused wife on the run, taking her life back and finding happiness is a plot that I love to read.

Was it a great work of literary fiction? No. Was it predictable as all romances are? Yes. Did I love reading it anyway? Absolutely. I'm already working on the second book in the series and can't wait to spend some quality time with it.

No comments: