Monday, August 15, 2011

Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 3) by Maggie Stiefvater

So I finally sat down to finish this book over the weekend and boy did I love it.  I think it may have been my favorite of the three (although as me again when I re-read # 2 and that answer may change). 

The pace of this story was really interesting.  It was slow, although very engaging for most of the book, but then in the last 60 or so pages... BAM! Heart stopping action.  When I settled in the backyard yesterday to finish up, I tweeted the following:

"Just settling in to read the last pages of Forever.  I have a feeling it will be intense."

15 minutes later...

"Oh my gosh this book is so not good for my blood pressure."

A few minutes later....

"@mstiefvater -  you. are. amazing.

I guessed it was going to be intense and I was right.

I think Cole really stole the show with this installment.  You really get to know him as a character is his own right and learn that his strengths fill in the gaps that Sam's weaknesses leave, and vice versa.  And, he's a perfect compliment to Isabel who was another spotlight stealer.  I loved the chapters from their POVs.

The relationship between Sam and Grace changed a little for me this book.  They were both somehow more cautious with each other.  I think they really felt the fragility of their relationship and time together, and it showed in the way they interacted with each other.  It was no less intense, just different. I loved it.

Maggie's writing is truly knock-your-socks-off good.  There were so many lines in the book that I found myself saying "THAT'S how you describe that feeling out loud" having never been able to put it into words before reading Maggie's.  Her writing is just so beautiful and poetic.  In my opinion, she's one of the best writers inYA right now.

This is a 5 star read for sure.  A great ending to a really enjoyable and unique series.

While I'm sad that there will be no new stories of Mercy Falls to look forward to, I'm very excited to read some new material from Maggie, and really look forward to the release of Scorpio Races in the fall.  In the meantime, if you haven't read Shiver, Linger and Forever, go do it now! 

No comments: