Saturday, April 30, 2011

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

I was so disappointed with this book. I really enjoyed Hush Hush and expected to be sucked right back into the story with the sequel, but I just wasn't.

I found the story line to be far to outlandish for my tastes. Perhaps it means that I'm starting to tire of paranormal YA? I'm not sure and I think it's too soon to tell, but what I do know for sure is that Crescendo didn't live up to it's potential for me. I was very happy when I finally finished and could move on to something else.

What bothered me was Nora's utter stupidity. Something major and terrifying would happen and she would carry on the next day as if nothing had occurred. I found this issue to be a major hole in the story and one that kept occurring. She constantly put herself in bad positions and didn't seem to have much of a backbone or depth in this installment. I found her, and many of the other characters for that matter, to be very flat. And in general, I just don't like the direction the plot is going.

To be fair, it may be partially my fault. It took me FAR too long to read this book, making it difficult to become invested in the story. However, if I was enjoying it I don't think it would have taken me so dreadfully long to read.... so it's not so simple as one might think.

I will say that several of the scenes between Nora and Patch were steamy (to say the least) and I do enjoy that aspect of the writing.

Overall, I just didn't enjoy Crescendo. I won't be continuing with the series as I find myself completely indifferent to the fate of the characters.

No comments: