Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I Can't Imagine....


I can't imagine what it's like to watch a close friend die.

Feeling that it's all your fault, seeing horror in his eyes.

"Take my family and keep them safe", are the last words that he said.

You make a silent promise as you slowly nod your head.

Then you have to leave him, with no time to say goodbye,

As you grab your gun and go, you hear his painful sigh.

But in the war, there's no time to grieve or even shed a tear.

Feeling no emotion, except a terrible fear.

As a soldier in the war, they learn to keep on going,

Run away, watch them die, their pace not even slowing.

Keep what I've said in your heart on Remembrance Day,

Think, what if you met that friend? What would you have to say?
-SAM




I wrote this poem as an assignment in the 8th grade (for Mrs. GC!) and was recently sent a copy from my Dad who kept it all this time. I thought it was appropriate to post today of all days.




No comments: