Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Search by Nora Roberts

This was the "fluff" that I chose to read at the same time as Columbine, knowing I would need brain breaks. I got exactly what I was looking for out of this book... an escape.

The story was entertaining, with a good mystery and just enough suspense to keep the pages turning.  I actually found the dog-training information really interesting, and very enjoyable to read about.

I really liked Simon.  Contrary to typical male romance leads, he was extremely flawed, even to the very end of the story.  He was rude, blunt, and short-tempered... and then plants "the damn trees".  He was just pretty fantastic.  I know for a fact that I would have been drawn to him if he were real.  I find that Roberts tries to write different characters in each book, instead of the same person over and over, and I think that's why she is my go to for those quick, in-between reads.  They don't necessary fit the same predictable romance novel template.

While I've been struggling to find a female lead that I really connect with lately, I found one in Fee.  Her independence, her strength, her loves of dogs and simple things.... yep, that's totally me (or at least, who I would like to be).  She new how to handle Simon too, and that made me like her even more.

I couldn't get enough of the banter between the two leads.  I especially loved their "compromises" in the last half of the story.  And of course, there was one especially delicious scene (read: in the shower at Simon's) that was full of Nora's patented "spice".  Loved it.

Spoiler below
.
.
.
.

The end was a little unbelievable for me.  I had a hard time really buying that the FBI would have allowed Fiona to go out on her own with the dogs to track Eckle, and not have at least assigned her an agent or two.  That rubbed the wrong way, but it made for some suspenseful reading, that's for sure.  My only other complaint was that the book was too long.  The story could have been told in 100 pages less and probably improved my rating.

Aside from those things, The Search was an enjoyable read that fans of Nora Roberts will adore.

No comments: